Wednesday, July 6, 2016

How time flys...

Its hard to believe tomorrow is my 7th chemo treatment and after this one I only have 1 more chemo to go!!! I have been slacking with blogging I always have good intentions but I will be honest I am NOT a writer. 

The chemo that I do right now - for cycles 5-8 is so much kinder to me.  I don't get nauseous nor as tired, the bone aches are a little worse generally on the Sunday/Monday right after chemo I ache the worst.  The bone aches are tolerable and I feel extremely fortunate to have minimal side effects throughout all of my chemo.  When I started chemo I would ask that those praying for me would pray specifically that I would have minimal sickness from everything and your prayers have worked.

Although my chemo is coming to an end this battle against cancer is not over.  On August 29th I will have to endure surgery and a double mastectomy.  This part scares me the most, I keep thinking about the 3-4 hours I will be under and the surgeon cutting up my chest wall to remove all the tissue.  Along with that I will have roughly 8 lymph nodes removed too, originally they had hoped to salvage my nodes but they can still see cancer in them and honestly I feel better with some removed. 

Throughout the past 3 1/2 months I have learned so much about breast cancer and all the options, for me my options were taken away when I tested positive for the BRACHA gene.  When my surgeon initially said I needed to have genetic testing done I thought well we don't really have much breast cancer in our family what are the chances.  So I was a little surprised I was positive and that result impacted more than just me since now my parents had to get tested and see who has the gene and to top it off I had to be an over achiever like always and tested positive for a colon cancer gene too. 

When I went to visit my plastic surgeon I was against having multiple surgeries.  Really how bad would it be if I choose not to have reconstructive?  I know many women want to get larger boobs but I will be honest I always teased about having mine reduced and here was my chance.  I was still a good patient and listened to the options... ok not that good because I did play with all the implant toys when the doctor left.  However, after meeting I decided to do a direct implant option so what that means is my breast surgeon will remove the tissue and my breasts and then the plastic surgeon will come in and place a mesh and small implants they will also tighten all the tissue ... (wish he could do this with my stomach while I am under).  So I will hopefully only have one surgery.

I am so thankful for everyone that has prayed, sent cards, meals, and much much more!!

No comments:

Post a Comment