Thursday, April 21, 2016

All about the hair...

A few weeks back when I had my biopsy done I remember Hannah asking me what they were looking for in the tissue samples, I told her several things and one was cancer.  Later that evening she said, "if it's cancer will your hair fall out?" I said I didn't know.  When I had my visits to my oncologist after being diagnosed it was one of the first things I asked and I was told YES it will fall out the drugs they give you for breast cancer make it fall out it can start at day 7 and through about day 16.  This week I have been seeing more and more hair as I showered and then as I brushed my hair over my sink I would see more and more hair all over the sink.  I am a planner and since cancer took over my life just 4 weeks ago I can't plan anything.  If you are a planner like me you will know that is one of the worst feelings, however, what I can take control of just a few things and I decided that I would not allow my chemo to control my hair loss instead I would be the boss of this!!

Earlier this week I knew it was starting to come out and decided that Thursday night at my friend's house we would get rid of my hair having a shaving party.  She decided to grill dinner, I decided to bring an ice cream cake and make it a REAL celebration and the kids were involved too because when will my kids ever get to cut my hair again.


After food and cake we headed outside for the main event, now keep in mind I just had about 7/8 inches of hair cut off 2 weeks ago in preparation for losing my hair, so at the start of the evening I looked like this.

 
The kids seemed excited to help with this process and the idea of letting them go crazy on my hair was terrifying but I felt like this fun party idea would make my hair loss easier for them.

First we put my remaining hair in pony tails so the kids could just cut off the pony tails and then we used the clippers to make it even shorter.












Tonight wasn't easy but nothing with cancer is really easy but I was able to plan it and do it on my own terms which is something I can't do right now.  Its not easy looking and seeing my hair gone and knowing I won't have any for a significant amount of time but there are certainly worse things in life than losing your hair and the kids had a lot of fun with the cutting and shaving.

So now it's gone what will I do?  Well I don't think a wig is quite me ... maybe I will look at a wig at some point but at this point I don't think its my thing.  I have a few hats and scarfs and hope to add some more to my collection and just wear different looks.  This week I learned how to make some neat tshirt hat wraps that I plan to try out and hopefully I fill get a few more hats/scarves so I can change my looks all the time but the hats I love are not exactly cheap so I am going to have to get creative and make some myself. 

Thanks to my friends for making the evening fun, with my friends, family and GOD anything is possible.  PS. Please pray that my bone scan results come back clear this is one of the last scans I needed right now.










2 comments:

  1. I love it!
    Keep pushing, keep sharing, and keep relying on God to be your trusty sidekick!
    We've all got your back, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got this Lisa...keep singing the "Fight Song" every day and remember there is a very wide circle (friends and family) that have your back. Positive thoughts regarding the bone scan too! (As for the hair, be prepared for a totally new you - my girlfiends hair prior to her chemo was straight, thin and dark brown. She's now has blonde, curly and very thick hair which we all love on her. Amazing transition sometimes wouldn't you say?)

    ReplyDelete